Thursday, April 23, 2015

Why I'm Not that Excited about Battlefront 3

Enter the cynical, post-Clone Wars show me. :p

A lot of my friends have been innocently asking me what I think of the new Battlefront game coming out (I think) this year. First of all, I am really happy that so many people see me as an honest point of knowledge when approaching the Star Wars universe. I have done a lot of research on it (after all, I am writing like eight books on it) so I hope I can be of honest help to people in that regard. When it comes to the recent Star Wars happenings though (like Rebels, The Force Awakens, or Battlefront 3) I begrudgingly and somberly admit that I have not been following these recent events or stories at all. Also, sadly, I feel almost no shame in doing so (note this is coming from a super-clone-star wars-lover). In fact, ever since Disney entered the scheme of things and cancelled 1313 and Clone Wars, I have kept up to date very, very little. :( Mostly this is because everything this new Disney-Star Wars is advertising is set in an era I have very, very little interest in, The Galactic Civil War and New Republic eras.

Why, you ask? Well, for one, it has no clones or Jango Fetts or really amazing Jedi like Kit Fisto or Kenobi. And secondly, I have not had very good experieinces with the Rebels vs. Empire to New Republic eras' stories. I read a few, back in the day, when I'd exhausted basically all the Jedi Apprentice or old Clone Wars comics/stories I could lay my hands on, and were disappointed. One book in particular, Jedi Sunrise, repulsed me so much from the era and characters that I had originally enjoyed in eps 4, 5, & 6 (aka Luke) that I just stopped reading Star Wars books all together. This is huge because I used to watch one of the movies, in canon-chronological order, every Saturday and almost had at least one Star Wars book that I was reading (or re-reading like Jedi Apprentice). I even saved what little money I had (after multiple birthdays or holidays since I didn't have an allowance) to buy my favorites or the beautiful "Panel to Panel" books, language books (yes, I used to know quite a few words in Huttese), and the now outdated galactic map. So now you've been various examples of my dedication and interest to the lore of Star Wars I can come to Battlefront 3.

I'll say it right now, I'm not angry or surprised that it's not going to be something I buy. I don't buy a lot of new video games simply because I have absolutely no interest in spending money on them. Battlefront 3, as I've told you before, used to have me interested but that was only because I was hoping there'd be some deeper coverage of the Star Wars universe and it's various and vivid eras. As an entire history and reference to the massive stories present in the 'expanded universe'. As a whole. Not just the Rebels vs. Empire as it is being made out to seem to be. Also the fact that the trailer doesn't tell me hardly anything that I don't know kinda turns me away from the game. I'll compare it to the Dragon Age Inquisition trailer: In Inquisition we see all the companions joining together with the Inquisitor to fight the demons and close those giant green glowing things we later learn are tears or rifts. This trailer shows us not only some intrigue into what our character will possibly be doing but also who we will be fighting, how, and with whom on our side. The Battlefront trailer, on the other hand, while showing perhaps some of the different things our character will have to do (setting/wasting pointless shield generators to protect two people instead of using their camoflague, and blowing up giant AT-ATs that were stupid enough to somehow get inside of Endor's sequoia forests...), don't really tell us what we don't know already. There was a battle on Endor and the Rebels won. Instead of showing us a new dimension to this map--which has been repeated in both the previous two Battlefront games--it just rehashes the same old stuff. I don't care so much about gameplay or graphics, I don't want to be paying $60 some dollars replaying a level I can play on my ps2 in Battlefront 2. :p Sorry, but no, I'm not that into that. This trailer could be misleading but why show us just Endor or Hoth when they can wow us with a plethora of places we've never seen in games yet?! This is what I wanted to see: Jabiim's swamplands, Merson's forested mountains, the debris encircling the airspace of Yavin 4, the Underworld of Coruscant, the Spires of Geonsis....Things that involved the different aliens, different tactics, different aspects of the battles (espionage, open warfar, the usage of actual cover to prevent oneself from dying....sorry, I hate it in movies or games when people just run straight into battle when they shouldn't. :p). Also, I wanted a story that I could really get into that reflected a perspective of the different sides of the stories. Battlefront 2's campaign was one of the factors that got me into the clones' perspectives. Not having even a hint of this intelligence nor aptitude really makes me want to dig a deeper trench to hide from Disney. I mean, there could be so much their game engines are capable of which games like Skyrim showed us, but the fact that they're actually devolving into a cash hound, trying to get you to pay for more content in addition to what (little) you got for the game is hideous.

I will not buy this game and will probably not even watch the gameplay. It shall be avoided like how I avoid Call of Duty and Battlefield. Not worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment