Monday, December 12, 2011

My chickens! (like about four or five years ago! :P)


This is kind of an old chicken movie that I made with my little compact camera about four or five years ago. The rooster you see jumping in the nesting box was Coocoolale (don't even know how to spell his name, poor guy) and a lot of the other chickens you see are dead now. :'( But keep in mind that they all lived into the ripe old age of about seven. The only one that died before that age was Grace, but that was because she had respiratory problems from the get-go which can't be cured (it's one of the flaws of that breed, the Light Brahmas). This movie is so old that it doesn't even have the new chickens! Also keep in mind this is the dead of winter when the coop gets kind of dirty because they are stuck in there twenty four- seven. Also you'll see that they are clustering around the sunlight because it was like 20 below that day. You probably heard me laughing at Coocoolale and Charlotte (little spunky brown and white speckled chicken). Anyways, I kept this forever because Coocoolale was my favorite rooster of all time (sorry Poofyhead), he never attacked us or anything! He was such a sweety. Rest in peace good chicken.

Oh, and I do not live on a farm or have like a million other pets. The chickens I have now number about 15. I have a dog and a cat and my sister has a little bunny. I'd say that's pretty decent for living on the outskirts of town. I have a gas station and a very small outlet mall a couple blocks or so from my house. It's just that our house came with a chicken coop so I guess my parents figured that we should fill it with chickens. It also doubles as a shed for my mom's gardening supplies. What's awesome is that the nice elderly people who live in the retirement home that's right next door to me come over to watch the chickens. Everyone lives on 'our' side of the retirement home so they can watch us working in the garden or the chickens in their ginormous fenced in green space. To keep the chickens from getting bored in the winter, or even all year around for that matter, we give them yummy things to eat like grapefruit rinds and old bread. Right now our two oldest hens are 12 (Charlotte and Dotsie). These chickens are pets not food. The only thing we eat is their eggs and we let them live for as long as they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment